Tuesday 20 November 2012

Go Forth and Trust in Shoes


I FEEL A RIGHT HEEL (WELL, I WISH I DID....)

Life is full of uncertainties. The weather, train times, plumbers who may or may not arrive, the difference between first and second class post, what politicians actually mean, that recipe you've cooked successfully ten times and suddenly tastes like something from McDonalds. We get used to not knowing from a very early age. Adults saying one thing and doing another, children tricking you into eating a 'sweet' made of soap, those dark stories about the possible non-existence of Santa. We learn to distrust much of the world, reconcile ourselves to ambiguity and anxiety, accept that bewilderment and conjecture form a large part of the fabric of our lives.

Yet there are also things we come to depend on, which provide fixed points we can rely on to give us exactly what we expect them to. Night will follow day. Rain is wet. Cats are enigmatic. Barry Cryer always has the best jokes. Tories are evil bastards. Alcohol will always be there for you. Some things just ARE.

Somewhere in between those two end points, but, you'd hope, nearer to the latter, are shoes. Now I know that people's choice of footwear can take strange turns and that, on the face of it, DMs have little, visually, in common with Jimmy Choos. The sandal does not perform quite the same functions as the desert boot and steel toecaps are not generally considered appropriate for running marathons. All these varieties have their roles in life and context determines their suitability. So if I'm going to talk sensibly about shoes then I need to provide a bit of definition. Sensibly being the key word for I am concerned here with the dreaded 'sensible' shoe.

Now 'sensible' as an adjective for 'shoe' will conjure up a diverse selection of images. For some readers it will be the black brogues your mum crammed you into to go to school. For others it means a three inch heel instead of six. One person's sense is another's torture instrument. As you go through life the attraction of 'sensible' over 'fashion' can grow considerably, often depending on how much damage 'fashion' did in the first place. Comfort means a lot more to the person who has inflicted a life of constriction and pain upon their ill-favoured tootsies. So I will now attempt to provide a definition of sensible which allows me to move my story forward.

Is there a common sense 'sensible' with reference to footgear? A few basic parameters may help. They should fit the foot of the wearer. Comfortably fit, as opposed to "Oooh, aah, yes that fits OK" complete with grimace. They should provide a bit of protection from the rain, not soak socks at the hint of a puddle. A sole with a bit of grip would be nice. And you should have no difficulty walking a mile in them (please always treat the expression "walk a mile in my shoes" as purely metaphorical). Finally, a concession to fashion, they should look like shoes should look like rather than suggesting that the wearer has slipped his feet into a couple of leftover pasties. Leather is a plus, colour your own choice. Are we there yet? I think that about covers it.

These are shoes to bring a modicum of certainty to life. Of course in time the heel will wear down, maybe a bit of stitching will start to work loose, the leather may crack and make you look like you're in that Oxfam phase of life. But there will be warnings of all these eventualities, should you choose to heed them. Sensible shoes are more reliable than our cars, but not quite as unchanging as Jeremy Clarkson's arrogance. On the whole they won't let you down.

So I set off from home this morning in a pair of shoes that I felt sure met our sensible definition. Dark brown, thick cleated soles, Clarks by name, veterans of many miles as comfortable companions. Very much winter shoes, brought out when the cold and dark and damp arrives. This was their second outing of the season and I had no augury or premonition of calamity, no reason to doubt my reliance on their assisting my progress and repelling the elements.

Within a few hundred yards I sensed doubt. The heels felt particularly spongy, springy, giving where their role should have been support. I walked on, conscious of the need to reach my destination on time. The odd feeling continued, getting less springy and more spongy, less certain and more like there were frogs in conflict with my shoes' desire to carry out their sole purpose in life. Outside the doors of the shop I was headed for I stopped and lifted a foot for inspection and beheld the horror of a crumbling heel, evidently ready to make a break for a solo existence. Further review showed the rest of the sole to be contemplating joining its rearward element in escape. Whilst the other side, I forget if I'd check left or right first, was in much the same shape. This was shoe revolt of the most serious nature.

The rest is best passed over briefly, for is there anything sadder than uncertain shoes? Both heels soon dropped off at the mildest touch and from then on my efforts to walk resulted in a trail of black lumps and the impression I was about to wet myself. I left early, disgraced by my footwear, and (literally) pained by their refusal to give me the support I thought they had promised.

Can I ever trust shoes again?

No comments:

Post a Comment