Monday 2 May 2016

Choices, choices - the General Election looms

JUST A FEW DAYS TO GO

The SNP is massively flawed, both as a party and as a government.  There are times when their instinct to centralise and control, as evidenced in the creation of Police Scotland or the much derided 'guardian for every child' policy, is disturbingly reminiscent of some of the worst aspects of the later years of the New Labour governments at Westminster.  With new powers coming to Holyrood this was an opportunity for the party to show off its progressive credentials, but the response to this in their manifesto is timid at best, especially on tax.  They have become a managerial government, largely competent, but lacking flair or imagination.

And yet.  All the polls are indicating that the government will be returned with an increased majority, backing up their huge success last year when they won all but three of Scotland's seats in London, with just over 50% of the votes cast - a far, far stronger mandate than that 'won' by the Tories.  The party itself attracts massive popular support, with membership greatly outstripping that of any other party (indeed they are the third largest in the UK, and by some margin), and there is a fanatical element (often the so-called 'cybernats') that can become overly aggressive at times.  Why is a party, which on paper should be struggling to keep the bandwagon rolling, looking such a dead cert to continue?  And can I find any reason to vote for them?

I have almost always voted tactically.  Having lived most of my adult life in England I found myself living in constituencies where I felt it my public duty to put my X in the spot where it was most likely to prevent a Conservative winning the seat.  And often that's the thing about democracy, you can find yourself voting not for the party that best reflects your views, but the least worst option available.  It's not the party you're voting for, but voting against the less palatable choices.

So what are the choices in this general election?  What are my choices?  As I've already stated, I have no truck with the Torykip world view.  Greed and selfishness are not a basis for public policy, and the Scottish Conservatives have shown no convincing signs of distancing themselves from the disastrous Cameron regime.  Any party whose policies kill disabled people is not getting my vote.

Oh, and ukip are ever more of a joke in this country.  Led by the buffoon who is a national embarrassment (how did anyone think Coburn would be a suitable representative for Scotland in Brussels?) and apparently having their own little civil war in the last few days of electioneering, they play to the worst aspects of the human psyche.  May they all rot.

Then there's Labour.  No longer able to count upon the loyalty of thousands no matter how incompetent, they are suddenly struggling to hang on to their position as second party.  Which is a shame.  Unlike the SNP they are proposing to do something a bit more radical with the new tax powers, and are making some noises about opposing Trident.  Plus they have taken a stronger stance than the government against any fracking taking place in the country.  All three policies feature on my personal list of things I'd like to see.

But I have two problems with Scottish Labour at the moment (apart from them just not being Corbynite enough for my taste).  Locally their choice of candidate in my constituency is a huge negative.  The popular, and effective, incumbent MSP is retiring, his replacement an establishment figure who has been prominent in many of Edinburgh Council's greatest failures (and there have been a few).  Nationally, much as Dugdale appears to be a very nice and very genuine person, she does little to impart confidence.  She does not make for a convincing potential First Minister.

There's an irony here.  Wee Ruthie does demonstrate some of the leadership qualities Kezia lacks - but her polices are, well, shite.  But if the Tories did become the second party it might actually be no bad thing.  Scotland needs an effective leader of the opposition, something sadly lacking in recent years.

Then there's the LibDems.  Remember them?  If Kezia appears to be a weak leader, what can you say about Willie Rennie?  Is it even worth bothering?

That just leaves the Greens, and a few minority parties.  In the constituency vote none of them really has much chance of winning, certainly not in this area.  But at regional level it's a different matter.

For all that RISE have some very attractive ideas, I feel at the moment that the Scottish Greens best represent my own views.  Strong on the environment, radical on tax and with an attitude to independence that matches my pragmatism.  I'm a Yes voter, but not a nationalist by instinct.  And in Patrick Harvie they have the most effective leading politician in the country, someone I have great respect for.

In an ideal world I'd like to see a SNP/Green coalition in power, with Patrick and co giving Nicola's cabinet the progressive kick they need.  That seems an unlikely outcome, but a strong Green presence in Holyrood would be to Scotland's benefit.  I'll be voting SNP in the constituency, even if I have to hold my nose a bit to do so.  But my list votes goes to the Greens, and that one comes with conviction.

No comments:

Post a Comment