Monday 10 June 2019

Almost gone

TAKE OFF TEMPTATION

I had a solo night away in Aberdeen recently.  A slightly under 24 hours stay, so I may not have got a full impression of the place....  But.  It was dreich.  Grey.  Uninspiring.  I did get to see a great gig, but that was about the only highlight.  It rained persistently, it was ridiculously cold for the time of year, I had a rubbish pizza for dinner and the hotel breakfast was even worse.  I will go back, but - Aberdeen, you need to do better. (Any Aberdonians or lovers of the Granite City reading this will no doubt be able to put me right.)

On the morning before I caught my train homewards I wandered about, looking hopefully for photographic subjects without much turning up.  And occasionally dodging into shops to get out of the damp for a few minutes.  One of those was  TK Maxx, just at random.  And something happened.  I saw this.



A splash of colour to relieve the greyness of the day was one thing.  But this display set my mind off on an unexpected journey.  On my back I had a change of clothes, toiletries, a laptop.  I could buy a suitcase, get a pair of jeans and a few tee shirts, other bits and pieces, all for around £200 or so.  There'd be a bookshop at the railway station to stock up on the essentials - books.  Another flash of the credit card in the ticket office and I could be off, away, somewhere, anywhere.  It suddenly felt very appealing, just vanishing for a week.  Switch off the phone, hide from the planet.

That I should have this thought reflects the influence of the novel I was reading at the time, Paul Auster's The Music of Chance.  The central character was living a life on the road, aimless and arbitrary in his directions, pointless in his progress.  At the time, surprise surprise, I hadn't yet reached the point in the book where his life spirals out of control into a world of threats and violence and tragedy...

I didn't go of course, but wandered on a bit more, still taking photos of grey.



And finding a highlight in the rain.



And then I got on my train, reading on to the point where the 'hit the road' idea seemed a little less attractive.

Anyway, I had my gorgeous female to come home to.  How could I ever have considered anything else?


No comments:

Post a Comment