Sunday 15 September 2019

Nae bad for an auld yin

ALL THE THREES

I'd have been annoyed with myself  if it had taken over four hours.  That was my published target for this year's slightly shortened Kiltwalk 'Big Stroll'.  In my head I knew I wanted to break three hours and forty five minutes.  I imagined myself doing a 3:42.  That would be win for me.

Cue reality.  Two practice walks ago, when I last tried a similar distance, it ended discouragingly badly.  Partly redeemed by a more successful shorter walk last week.  But the memory of that failed longer effort stayed in the back of my mind.  So it was a relief/miracle/pleasure/palliative/comfort/bloody big surprise to find myself still making good time after the uphill section with only three miles to go.  And a bit of a shock to find myself crossing the finish line three hours and thirty three minutes after leaving the start in Musselburgh.  (Which is probably why I feel totally knackered now, as I write this seven hours later.)

It helped that the weather was a bit cooler than it's been this past week, and the wind a lot less obstructive.  That I was able to find my own pace soon after the start and stuck with it.  That I didn't stop walking the whole time except to get safely across the few roads placed in our path (aided by a fellow walker who held my backpack for a minute so I could take my sweater off without breaking stride, helpful friendly people these Kiltwalkers).  Nor did I stop to take photos, so all I've got here is a shot of the crowd ahead of me at the start line.

I think I need my bed...

Meanwhile, if you are still considering donating for my efforts... here's a link to my Kiltwalk donations page.


No comments:

Post a Comment