Saturday 3 January 2015

The disappearing Xmas present

JUST BECAUSE IT'S NOT A PUPPY....
"A dog is for life, not just for Xmas".  We've all seen that one before and pondered on the sort of person who'd buy a puppy as a present without thinking through the consequences.  Some gifts deserve to be taken a it more seriously than others.
And some arrive with the expectation that, as with a canine companion, there will be a long relationship in the offing.  Only 'things' of course, but there's the odd item that looks so useful, as if it will suit you so well, that you feel sure it's going to become an essential part of your daily life.  And so it was with one of the more unlikely presents I received on the twenty fifth.  A foldaway rucksack, which fitted into a pouch not much bigger than a pack of cards, and seemed the ideal solution to those moments when I find yourself buying more in the shops than I'd planned to do, and suddenly lugging a big carton of milk about on the end of my arm.  And given that we rarely use the car nowadays those moments seem to crop up surprisingly often.  (Which may just be a sign of how disorganised I am.)
The rucksack was made of black nylon and I didn't bother to unfold it at the time, thinking I'd leave it looking pristine until it was called into use.  Which happened a few days later.  At the supermarket till, more items than expected, some of them on the hefty side, and me far too mean to pay the 5p per bag charge now implemented in Scotland.  This is a job for .... foldaway rucksack!
So out it came and neat piece of design it looked.  Broad straps for the shoulders, adjustable buckles, and the pouch turned into a zip pocket on the outside of the rucksack.  A load was placed inside, the bag slung on my back and we headed for the bus stop.  Only for a number 16 to arrive at just that moment.  On bus, up the stairs, slide rucksack from shoulders - rip!  One backstrap parted company with the nylon seam it had been joined to.  And now I had a black nylon holdall.  From putting it on my back to the moment of destruction took less than five minutes.
At least we hadn't had time to become attached to one another.  It had not cemented it's place in my life, become the essential pocket companion I had expected from it.  But at least it wasn't a puppy.

PS  This one came from Trespass and seems to be the only one they sell.  Anyone come across any better alternatives?

No comments:

Post a Comment