Sunday 5 February 2017

Passing by the Maple Leaf




A FLAG WITH MEANING

Yesterday I was walking down through the lower reaches of the New Town, as you do.  (Well, actually, as I don't, because this was rarely seen territory for me, letting my nose and feet lead me without much forethought.)  So I came to this junction, and there, in a first floor window on the corner, was a Canadian flag.  A splash of colour, and identity, in this dull winter scene.

This wasn't consulate territory, so maybe it's somebody's bedroom, or living room, and they want to proudly display their origins.  It's no big surprise in a multinational city like Edinburgh.  Hey, it could even be one our 'our' Edinburgh Capitals hockey players....

I walked on, still thinking about that flag, and it struck me how appropriate it seemed for the moment.  Canada and Scotland, both with moderate, inclusive, social democratic governments, both outward looking, both nationalities that are welcomed around the world.  And both having a southern border with a neighbour that looks increasingly like their government is flirting with fascism.  Both at odds with the regressive values of their much larger, bombastic, isolationist 'friend'.

It's not a comparison that stands up for long of course.  Some might identify Scotland more with Quebec than Canada, having their own internal discourse about whether or not to sever ties of political rule.  And Canada doesn't have to store their neighbour's nukes for them....

No comments:

Post a Comment