Tuesday 21 February 2017

Staring at screens all day

FROM SCREEN TO SHINING SCREEN

A few years ago if I'd said I had spent most of my day looking at screens they'd have been PC monitors or laptops, with the odd glance at my phone.  I'd have been looking at reports, plans, spreadsheets.  I'd have been filling in forms, writing updates, dealing with emails.  And, in hindsight, not really doing anything worthwhile.

Today I've spent long periods looking at four screens, and they have all been worth my attention.  In the morning it was the Cameo cinema to see the wonderful 20th Century Women.  After lunch we were in the Filmhouse to see German comedy Toni Erdmann, which had one of the funniest party scenes I've ever watched.  In the evening it was the TV at home, with the live webcast of the hockey match between Coventry Blaze and my Edinburgh Capitals.  Not the finest moment of the day, not just because Caps lost, but due to the effect on my eyesight of such a blurry picture being displayed - sort yourselves out Coventry!

While that was on I paid partial attention to my laptop, doing a bit of tidying up.  And now I sit before my desk monitor, battering away at my keyboard to do a bit of writing, a bit of checking up on the news.  No reports, plans or spreadsheets.  No writing because I have to, but because I want to.  And no emails demanding my urgent attention.

There's a lot to be said for retirement....

No comments:

Post a Comment