Thursday 7 April 2016

An unexpected route to fitness

WHEN YOU HAVE TO DO IT....

You do it.

Enjoyment comes in many forms, and the ability to take part in fun activities is an important part of a good life.  Often that can depend on having the money, or the time, or someone to do it with.  But more than any of these it requires good health.  Health problems, both physical and mental, are often the biggest limiting factor in what we can or can't have a go at.

I'm lucky.  As my sixties approach I feel I'm generally in good shape and able to do the things I want to, as is my life partner.  There are minor niggles of course, that comes with the ageing process.  We didn't go out to many gigs or plays in January and February because one or both of us had an annoying cough and didn't want to be the people in the audience everyone glowered at.  That gone, I've only just made a start at returning to the gym, trying to get back a bit of the stamina the virus deprived me of.  And as part of that regime I've been trying to make sure I climb the stairs to our fifth floor flat at least once every day.

It's all very well taking on something like that because you want to, and can make sure that it doesn't involve carrying a load of shopping with you.  But this week has been different.  The lift is broken.  All week (it's due to be fixed tomorrow).  Having been away for the weekend I've made the climb with suitcases, bags of shopping, and plodding determination.  I've paced myself carefully and have yet to arrive in a state where I couldn't manage to utter a word (it's been close, but not quite).  Yesterday I made the trip six times.  And I'm still alive to write about it.  Amazing what the body can do when it doesn't have the choice....

No comments:

Post a Comment