Thursday 23 May 2019

Walking, advocacy and kilts 4

THIS WEEK I HAVE BEEN MOSTLY LEARNING...

Always good to get a different view of the familiar.  In the past I have walked along short stretches of the Union Canal, but never gone very far.  A waterway that starts near the heart of the city and carves out a route through familiar territory, but seen from a very different angle.  Given that it's obviously going to be hill free as well this seemed a perfect opportunity to do one of my practice walks away from my usual beaten tracks.

A bus to Fountainbridge and the swans at Edinburgh Quay to send me off in the right direction.



Plenty to see as I head off.




Plenty to see as I walk along.





It's always interesting to get a new angle on familiar places because suddenly they become almost-but-not-quite new and strange, almost, but not quite, like a sensation of deja vu.  But eventually the route leaves the vaguely familiar, crosses over the M8, and spears on through the greenery.  the signposts had indicated that if I walked to Ratho that would be around the eight mile distance I was targeting.  And I knew exactly where Ratho was, having passed it many times on the A8 Glasgow Road.  Didn't I?

The first doubt started to form in my head when, through the trees to my right, I glimpsed the airport.  It did seem to be a bit further off than I'd have expected if I was on the way to where the map in my head told me I was.  But maybe things came together a bit further on...

So off I came at the village of Ratho, climbing up to this bridge and turning northwards. 





We all know the pathetic old joke about 'assume' used on a million mundane management training courses.  That doesn't mean we heed the advice it's meant to hammer into us.  A signpost swiftly assured me that I'd assumed a bit too far.  While the name 'Ratho' was indeed familiar to me, it should have been accompanied by the word 'Station'.  Ratho Station is the village on the A8 I had been heading towards in my mind.  Ratho is where I ended up, over a mile to the south and over the hill.  Which is how I felt as I trudged up and down and on to the busy main road.  But at least the route provided me with some entertainment.

Villagers have a bit of a reputation for not being overly communicative with outsiders.  But this sign seemed to be taking it a bit far.



And a few hundred metres later...


These country folk don't like giving much away, do they?

In the end I walked a bit over ten miles, completing my hike at Ingliston tram stop.  So this was a welcome sight.


As ever the best bit was the hot bath when I got home.  Nothing to write about regarding my Advocard work this week, but I expect to be back in 'action' soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment