Monday 6 May 2019

Walking, advocacy and kilts 2

MEMORY FAILINGS

Another day, another practice walk.  I won't be able to blame a lack of foresight and preparation for my failure on the day.  Having done a large part of the first half of last year's course last week I thought I'd have a crack at the second 'half'.  Which would mean a slightly longer distance, and the inclusion of something resembling a hill.

(One of the things that impressed me most about the route last year was the manner in which the organisers had managed to have so much of it on the level.  This in a city where visitors are advised that getting anywhere is going to be uphill and into the wind.  Even on the way back.)

So that meant taking in the one feature that stands out in my mind from last September, the steep climb of over 100m that leads into the climb to Silverknowes.  Here it is today....



Errr, maybe not.  It's quite gentle, and maybe around 70m.  But, to be fair to my memory banks, my first encounter with it was deep into the eleventh mile, which does change perspective a bit.

The other interesting feature of today's effort was provided by the weather.  It is May, isn't it?  After my legs feeling like boil in bag rice last week I dispensed with jeans and moved straight into the shorts (the kilt comes into play much later in the process).  This felt like a big, big mistake for the first cold, wet 45 minutes, and my knees were reminded of primary school days.  I had intended to take some photos along the way, but no chance when my hands were stuffed firmly into pockets to retain some sense of feeling. 

Anyway, the sun came out as I neared Gypsy Brae so here's some shots of the Firth of Forth across to Fife.  Rain free, and beautiful.





End point was a cloud covered Murrayfield Stadium and the tram stop homewards.  Nothing much to say about Advocard today as I've done nothing since my last post.  But I have a few things on this week, including attending a PIP assessment.  It's a glamourous life.


No comments:

Post a Comment