Monday 27 May 2019

Walking, advocacy and kilts 5

I COULD CONQUER THE WORLD.  IF I COULD REMEMBER WHAT WAS HAPPENING TOMORROW.

Deciding to eschew buses I opted for a more circular route today.  And stuck to my plan to go out in the morning despite persistent rain.  Who knows what September will bring?  So a bit of gloom makes a change.



Yesterday I'd been out in the car and had seen a sign reminding everyone that today was Edinburgh Marathon day.  And I immediately thought I should check out the route so I kept my own comparatively pathetic perambulations well out of the way of the fit people.  I wonder where that thought went?

So, less than an hour into my journey, who do I encounter?





Other than stirring up my general feelings of inadequacy (We all have those, don't we?  Anyone...?) this shouldn't have been a problem.  And it wasn't really, although I did have to improvise my route after stewards barred my path.  Anyone unfamiliar with the city's geography will want to skip the next paragraph.

My route took me up Leith Walk from Pilrig, down Calder Road and past parliament where I found myself joining the runners.  Through Queens Park, intending to head for Jock's Lodge, but forced to double back bit and go round the back of the sadly demolished Meadowbank Stadium (sad as I have good memories of attending the event it was built for, the 1970 Commonwealth Games) to Marionville, down Restalrig Road, across Leith Links (where a fragment of blue sky put in a visitation), back along the dock road to Newhaven and back home via Victoria Park and a bit of the Water of Leith Walkway.  About 8 miles and hillier than I've been used to.  All part of the master plan.  If I had one.


Still nothing to report on the advocacy work, but I have an appointment on Wednesday.  One of the inevitable facts about the work we do is that many of the users of our services lead quite chaotic lives.  I've joked about my poor memory above, but for many people trying to make sure they keep appointments, or even remember to take their medication, is a daily struggle.  The man I'm to see this week cancelled our last appointment on the day.  With good reason, as he'd been detained in hospital for a few days and only just released.  No problem for me, as I only live a 10 minute walk from the office, but for some of my fellow volunteers, who have far longer journeys, it's more irksome.  Acceptance is the only option.

No comments:

Post a Comment