Sunday 14 July 2019

Walking, advocacy and kilts 9

AND STILL NO KILT?

Almost two weeks since my last walk, one that felt like I didn't want to be there.   So it's a relief to be enjoying the experience again, as well as a sense that I'm improving.  There are no photos from today's walk because there was no stopping, other than a brief comfort break.  Today felt like a proper walking day.

I was back on the Water of Leith Walkway, from Balerno to Victoria Bridge, a bit over twelve miles.  Within half a mile I knew today was very different from the last time, and this was going to be enjoyable. When I did this walk a few weeks ago it took a bit over three and half hours, at an average of 3.4mph.  This time I knocked a further eleven minutes of that figure, now at 3.6mph - which is very close to what I need to do on the day.  Albeit there'll another three and a bit miles to plod on through.

Best of all the clouds stayed overhead for most of the walk, so it never got too hot (by Edinburgh standards...).  Sub-taps aff conditions.  But still warm for kilt wearing.  I'll have to get around to wearing it soon, to be used to it again.  But some cooler weather would be nice.  Please.

My only advocacy experience last week was accompanying a man to his dental appointment.  he felt the dentist hadn't been listening about his dentures problems, but she happily gave him what he wanted on the day.  One thing I really liked about this dental practice, and not something I've come across in any of the ones I've been a patient at - when he was laid back in the chair she put a big pair of dark glasses on him to stop the light being too bright for his eyes.  Smart idea, as it can often be dazzling.  Anyone else come across such a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment